Classic Antarctica Air-Cruise: Magellan Explorer
Flying over Cape Horn and the mythical waters of the Drake Passage, this expedition takes you directly to one of the most spectacular places on earth, the coldest, highest, windiest, driest, and remotest continent - Antarctica! Magellan Explorer is a new and modern expedition vessel custom-built for Antarctic air-cruises. She carries the latest Polar Code specifications to start service in 2019
- Unique combination of flying and sailing to Antarctica
- Save time and comfort by skipping the Drake Passage
- Just 69 passengers for an intimate experience exploring Antarctica
- Expert guides and state-of-the-art, new ice-class vessel
- Highly experienced flight operator takes you direct to King George Island in Antarctica
- Memorable journey, experience of a lifetime
The Antarctic Air-Cruise ModelFly over Cape Horn and the Drake Passage to reach Antarctica quickly and in comfort! There was a time when adventure travellers who wanted to reach the Antarctic Peninsula had only one option: to sail across the tempestuous Drake Passage. This expedition gives you a more comfortable alternative.
FLY THE DRAKEA two-hour flight takes you from Punta Arenas, in the Chilean Patagonia, directly to Antarctica where you board your expedition ship. You thereby avoid the stormy seas of the Drake Passage – and the potential seasickness - and experience only the best Antarctica has to offer.
CRUISE ANTARCTICAThis is a boutique-style wilderness adventure, not a cruise. Feeling more like private yachts than cruise ships, the small expedition vessel gives you privileged access to Antarctica, taking you where larger ships cannot. With a smaller number of passengers, disembarkation is fast and efficient so you spend time exploring, not waiting.
- COMFORT: Avoid storms in the Drake Passage
- SPEED: Get to Antarctica quickly and save time
- SIZE: Enjoy a small-ship, yacht-like experience
Special Offers - save up to $3000 per person
Special Savings available on the following departures only:
- Dec 1 - 8, 2021 - $3000 per person
- Dec 11 - 18, 2021 - $1500 per person
The offer applies to all available categories of accommodation except Triple & Porthole Cabins and the Promotion is in effect until April 30, 2021, unless the allocated capacity sells out first.
Antarctica and back in one week! Fly and then cruise in Antarctica on board the state-of-the-art new ship Magellan Explorer.
OverviewFlying over Cape Horn and the mythical waters of the Drake Passage, this expedition takes you directly to one of the most spectacular places on earth, the coldest, highest, windiest, driest, and remotest continent - Antarctica! Magellan Explorer is a new and modern expedition vessel custom-built for Antarctic air-cruises. She carries the latest Polar Code specifications to start service in 2019.
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
Luxury expedition Vessel: Magellan Explorer
Magellan Explorer is a new and modern expedition vessel. She was built in Chile to the latest Polar Code specifications to start service in 2019. Magellan Explorer has capacity for 100 passengers in seven categories of accommodation, including dedicated single cabins. All cabins except Porthole cabins feature private balconies. All double cabins except two have two twin beds that can be configured as one king-size bed. All cabins feature a wardrobe, individually controlled heating system, a sitting area, and a private bathroom with shower. The ship features a glass-enclosed observation lounge and presentation room with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment, a spacious and stylish dining room, a well-stocked bar, a library, a meeting room, a gym, a sauna, and a medical clinic. The forward-facing observation deck leads to the bow of the ship, which is accessible to guests to offer proximity to marine wildlife. The ship has a fleet of 10 Zodiac boats that are well suited for disembarking and wildlife watching.
- Transfers airport/hotel/airport in Punta Arenas foreseen on the first and last day of the voyage (in case of using the complimentary hotel night upon return from Antarctica, no transfer is included the following day).
- 1 overnight in Punta Arenas at a four star hotel and a welcome dinner including drinks on Day 1.
- 1 complimentary hotel night upon request in Punta Arenas on the day of return from Antarctica.
- Flight from Punta Arenas to Frei Station on King George Island and/or vice versa as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
- Ship cruise along the Antarctic Peninsula as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
- Daily buffet breakfast and lunch offering a wide choice of dishes
- Daily served dinner offering a choice of three main courses
- A selection of wines, beers, and soft drinks served with lunch, dinner, and at the bar
- Coffee, tea, chocolate, cappuccino, water and snacks throughout the expedition
- All guided shore excursions.
- Lectures and entertainment on board.
- Comprehensive pre- and post-voyage information material.
- Loan of waterproof boots for landing in Antarctica.
- Contingency Plan for air-cruise departures as foreseen for each voyage (see further on).
- Accommodation, meals, excursions and transfers other than those included in the Travel Program and the Contingency Plan corresponding to each voyage.
- Personal insurance.
- Extra expenses (communication, laundry, souvenirs, etc.).
- Tips (suggested USD 10 per person per day).
- Visas or Passport expenses and/or any other arrival and/or departure tax, if applicable.
- Booking a dedicated single cabin. No supplement is applied for single use of dedicated single cabins.
- Booking a twin cabin for single use. An 85% supplement will be added to the rate per person in twin cabin.
- Sharing a twin cabin with another passenger (male or female). No supplement is applied, and the shipping company will take care of finding the matching companion.
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!