Spitsbergen & Northeast Greenland: Ortelius
Northeast Greenland and Svalbard
A voyage starting in Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen) sailing along the Northeast coast of Greenland and ending in Akureyri (Iceland). Approaching Greenland we will attempt to sail through the sea ice into Foster Bugt, making our first landing at Myggebugten. Beyond the old hunters’ hut (in the first half of last century Norwegian trappers hunted here for Polar Bear and Arctic Fox) there is an extensive tundra populated by Musk Oxen
- Marvel at majestic scenery and glaciers
- Explore the largest fjord system in the world
- Admire the amazing colors of Greenland
- Observe the Aurora Borealis
- Observe Musk Ox and other land mammals
- Hike on the Greenland tundra
Diverse and dramatic landscapes, colourful tundra populated by iconic musk ox and huge icebergs and glaciers are just some of the highlights of this expedition.
OverviewA voyage starting in Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen) sailing along the Northeast coast of Greenland and ending in Akureyri (Iceland). Approaching Greenland we will attempt to sail through the sea ice into Foster Bugt, making our first landing at Myggebugten. Beyond the old hunters’ hut (in the first half of last century Norwegian trappers hunted here for Polar Bear and Arctic Fox) there is an extensive tundra populated by Musk Oxen.
Expedition Vessel: M/V Ortelius
The ice-strengthened vessel Ortelius is an excellent vessel for Polar expedition cruises in the Arctic and Antarctica, providing possibilities to adventure in remote locations such as the Ross Sea and Franz Josef Land. Ortelius was built in Gdynia, Poland in 1989, was named Marina Svetaeva, and served as a special purpose vessel for the Russian Academy of Science. The vessel is now re-flagged and renamed Ortelius. She offers a comfortable hotel standard, with two restaurants, a bar/lecture room and a sauna. Her voyages are primarily developed to offer our passengers a quality exploratory wildlife program, trying to spend as much time ashore as possible. As the number of passengers is limited to approximately 106, flexibility assures maximum wildlife opportunities.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- Free use of rubber boots and snow shoes
- Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on group flights to Longyearbyen and Akureyri to Reykjavik by coach (5 hours).
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!