Spitsbergen, Greenland, Iceland: Sea Spirit
This comprehensive voyage starts in Longyearbyen in Svalbard and finishes in Reykjavík, Iceland. Experience the stark beauty of Spitsbergen’s mountainous northwestern coast while searching for polar bears, marine mammals, and other quintessential Arctic wildlife. Continue to East Greenland for a rare opportunity to explore part of the vast and unspoiled Northeast Greenland National Park. Then, in stunning Scoresby Sund, discover incredible scenery, enormous icebergs, historical sites, a modern Inuit village, and a wonderful setting for northern lights
- Spectacular coasts, fjords and glaciers of Spitsbergen
- Remote coast of Greenland
- Zodiac cruising
- Tundra hiking
- Optional kayak adventure option on selected expeditions
- Arctic wildlife such as polar bears, walrus and seals
- The luxury expedition vessel Sea Spirit
Abundant wildlife in Spitsbergen and stunning scenery in East Greenland combine to create a complete Arctic experience.
The northwestern part of Spitsbergen, the largest island in the Svalbard archipelago, offers dramatic scenery along with some of the Arctic’s best wildlife viewing opportunities. This High Arctic wilderness is home to polar bears, a variety of whales and seals, a great abundance of nesting seabirds, and land mammals such as Arctic fox and reindeer.
In this multifaceted landscape of glaciers, mountains, and flowering tundra we also find historical sites and the Arctic research community of Ny Ålesund, complete with gift shop, museum, and post office. You may even get a chance to swim in the Arctic Ocean.
Northeast Greenland National Park and Scoresby Sund offer some of the finest scenery in the world. Extensive fjord systems provide access to the mountainous interior of Greenland where tidewater glaciers create colossal icebergs. Coastal plains are home to prehistoric-looking musk oxen and other wildlife.
Throughout this area we find ancient archeological sites and historical huts. We also have the chance to visit a modern Inuit village complete with Greenlandic sled dogs at Ittoqqortoormiit. To cap it all off, each night in Greenland brings a new possibility to see incredible displays of northern lights, also known as aurora borealis.
Before finishing our voyage in Reykjavík, we have the chance to explore along the west coast of this scenic and diverse country. In the ruggedly beautiful Westfjords we visit the historic fishing port of Ísafjörður. This small town embodies Iceland’s trademark blend of contemporary charm and rich cultural heritage.
ARI TRAUSTI GUÐMUNDSSON
Ari Trausti is an Icelandic geophysicist, lecturer, mountaineer, polar traveler, radio and television host, prize-winning fiction writer, and author of over 40 books. His science books focus on geology, volcanology, glaciology, astronomy, environmental science and mountaineering. His collection of short stories has received the Laxness Literary Prize.
Educated as a geophysicist in Norway and Iceland, Ari Trausti has worked as a consultant in geoscience, tourism, Arctic and environmental issues for over 30 years. He is an official guide/lecturer for Icelandic ministries, the office of the President and several scientific institutions. In 2007 and 2010, he received prizes for communication in science. He is an international member of the Explorers Club. Ari Trausti was a candidate for the office of the President of Iceland in 2012.
Early Booking Discount
Reduced deposit of just 10%!2022 Season: Book before June 30, 2021 and save 10% on Triple, Main Deck and Classic Suites - or 15% on Superior suites and higher categories. Quote Promocode SPX10 or SPX15 during the booking process. Special Bonus for the very early birds! Confirm a booking until Dec 31, 2020 and receive an on board credit of 250 USD!
Three Arctic Pearls in one voyage
OverviewThis comprehensive voyage starts in Longyearbyen in Svalbard and finishes in Reykjavík, Iceland. Experience the stark beauty of Spitsbergen’s mountainous northwestern coast while searching for polar bears, marine mammals, and other quintessential Arctic wildlife. Continue to East Greenland for a rare opportunity to explore part of the vast and unspoiled Northeast Greenland National Park. Then, in stunning Scoresby Sund, discover incredible scenery, enormous icebergs, historical sites, a modern Inuit village, and a wonderful setting for northern lights.
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
Luxury Expedition Ship M/S Sea Spirit
Sail aboard the remarkably comfortable Sea Spirit and experience the polar regions in grand style with spacious suites. Carrying a maximum of 112 passengers this outstanding vessel, approved for polar waters, is equipped with rubber inflatable boats - called Zodiacs- for shore transfers and cruising. Kayaking and camping options are available on select departures. All suites have facilities en suite and exterior views. Deluxe Suites, Premium Suites and the Owner's Suite have private balconies for viewing the breathtaking landscapes of the Arctic, Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands. Cruise with all the comfort of home - king-size beds (twin beds for those who prefer them), an open bar, balconies and a hot tub. Plus enjoy the amenities of a fine hotel, while a resident photographer helps you take brag-worthy photos.
- 1 pre-voyage hotel night;
- Group transfer to the ship on day of embarkation;
- Group transfer to airport or central location upon disembarkation;
- Shipboard accommodation;
- All scheduled landings/excursions (other than optional);
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader & Expedition Team;
- All meals on board throughout the voyage;
- Tea and coffee station 24 hours daily;
- A pair of rubber boots on loan for shore landings;
- Branded Poseidon Expeditions parka;
- Welcome and Farewell cocktails;
- All port fees;
- Pre-departure materials;
- Digital Voyage Log;
- Emergency Evacuation Insurance to a maximum benefit of US 100,000 per person (for those 85 years of age and younger).
- Visa and passport fees (if applicable);
- Luggage and trip cancellation insurance;
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages other than those for special events and celebrations;
- Personal expenses such as laundry and telecommunication charges;
- Staff gratuities.
- Special conditions: In case fuel price increases significantly fuel surcharge may be applied for all bookings.
- A reduced deposit of just 10% is required by the end of the seven-day option period to confirm the reservation.
- Any time up to 30 days before the departure, you can transfer your booking to any future Sea Spirit cruise.**
- From 29 to one day before the departure, you can transfer your booking to any future Poseidon cruise for a valid COVID-related reason. Proof of the COVID-related reason is required.**
- “Flexible Reservation” transfers are reserved for those bookings
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!