Snow Hill: March to the Emperor Penguins
Antarctica's Weddell Sea
Journey aboard the legendary icebreaker Kapitan Khlebnikov, past thick, tabular icebergs to the ice-bound Weddell Sea. This exclusive Antarctic adventure, last offered in 2010, is your chance to be a part of polar history! A rare opportunity to observe one of the most spectacular sights in the wild: the elusive Emperor penguin colony off the coast of Snow Hill Island. Imagine flying in a helicopter to the vicinity of this astounding rookery, then walking across the sea ice to come within several feet of chicks so young they’re huddling with their parents. A once-in-a-lifetime experience!
- Travel aboard the legendary Kapitan Khlebnikov, the legendary icebreaker and the only vessel to circumnavigate Antarctica twice
- Cross the famous Drake Passage on your way to explore the Snow Hill Emperor penguin colony
- Enjoy helicopter sightseeing and Zodiac cruising
- Experience thousands of pairs of Emperor penguins, including chicks, in their natural habitat
- View other iconic Antarctic wildlife, such as whales, seals and seabirds
The Legend Returns
Exclusive and unparalleled. As a polar pioneer, the mighty Kapitan Khlebnikov icebreaker has taken adventurers to some of the most inaccessible corners of the globe since 1992, and was the first ship in the world to circumnavigate Antarctica with passengers in 1997. The Khlebnikov now returns to tourist expeditions for the first time in several years. On this expedition, Khlebnikov (pronounced KLEB-nik-off) will take you to some of the most remote and remarkable regions of the world.
The Kapitan Khlebnikov is one the very few vessels offering aerial sightseeing flights and landings by expertly-piloted helicopters – an essential feature of icebreaker operations offering a unique perspective of the polar regions and this amazing ship working through the ice... not to mention transport to see the emperor penguins!
DID YOU KNOW?
When the BBC and Discovery Channel decided to produce Frozen Planet, the sequel to their popular Planet Earth TV series, the filmmakers turned to this very same voyage Emperor Penguins: Snow Hill Island Safaris aboard the Kapitan Khlebnikov. On each voyage, the film crew delivered presentations and screened dailies—raw footage captured during each day’s filming—to the delight of all passengers!
An experience like no other, it’s like a wildlife documentary come to life!
OverviewJourney aboard the legendary icebreaker Kapitan Khlebnikov, past thick, tabular icebergs to the ice-bound Weddell Sea. This exclusive Antarctic adventure, last offered in 2010, is your chance to be a part of polar history! A rare opportunity to observe one of the most spectacular sights in the wild: the elusive Emperor penguin colony off the coast of Snow Hill Island. Imagine flying in a helicopter to the vicinity of this astounding rookery, then walking across the sea ice to come within several feet of chicks so young they’re huddling with their parents. A once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Icebreaker: I/B Kapitan Khlebnikov
The Kapitan Khlebnikov will be your home away from home during your expedition. No mincing words: this ship can practically go anywhere—and you’re going with it. Not only was it the first in the world to circumnavigate Antarctica with passengers—it did it twice. No other vessel has transited the Northwest Passage more often. Originally designed to take on the rigors of northern Siberia, the 24,000 horsepower engine and advanced ice-breaking technology take you places no other ship can. The ship offers 51 outside cabins and suites, all featuring private facilities, large windows, desk, hair dryer, robes and large closets.
- Tips and gratuities
- Soft drinks plus Wine and beer at dinner service
- Accommodation onboard with daily housekeeping All meals, snacks, coffee, tea, cocoa and juices onboard (please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible; unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals)
- All shore landings per the daily program, weather permitting Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- Photographic journal documenting the expedition
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
- Waterproof expedition boots on loan for the duration of your voyage
- Expedition parka to keep
- Life jackets and immersion suits
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard ship
- Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person
- International airfare
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance are strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges
- Additional overnight accommodation