North Pole Express: Barneo Ice Camp
The pinnacle of this three-day expedition is spending the night at 89° North at Barneo Ice Camp. This unique polar experience is ideal for those seeking a short, but adventurous journey to the top of the world. You’ll be one of an exclusive group to land on the frozen runway and take up residence on this unequalled floating site on the icy sea of the North Polar Basin. Enjoy fully-guided adventures in the northernmost Arctic by helicopter, snowshoe and on foot, with lectures by the expedition team and resident scientists, all accessible within a short flight from Longyearbyen, Svalbard
- Fly-in to one of the most remote, extraordinary expedition base camps in the world
- Reach the top of the world by Antonov AN-74 aircraft, Mi8 helicopter, and by foot
- Special edition parka, provided for Arctic temperatures of -25°F (-32°C) on average
- Learn first-hand about the scientific and research activities being conducted at this floating research station
- Explore the unique culture of Longyearbyen, Norway before and after the base camp
A truly amazing and new way to reach the Top of the World!
OverviewThe pinnacle of this three-day expedition is spending two nights at 89° North at Barneo Ice Camp. This temporary, fly-in camp site is one of the world's most unique polar experiences and ideal for those seeking a short, but adventurous journey to the top of the world. You’ll be one of an exclusive group to land on the frozen runway and take up temporary residence on this unequalled floating site on the icy sea of the North Polar Basin.
Established each year as a functioning science and logistics station, the site is operated by the Expedition Center for the Russian Geographical Society. Among your fellow guests and base staff, you’ll meet scientists, pilots, mechanics, engineers, and explorers. This expedition offers fully-guided opportunities for exploring the northernmost Arctic by helicopter as well as by snowshoe and on foot. Guests can take in lectures and presentations by the expedition team and resident scientists, and enjoy heated facilities and hearty meals, all accessible within a short flight from Longyearbyen, Svalbard.
LAND PROGRAM: BARNEO ICE CAMP
Barneo Ice Camp is constructed every year through a complex series of logistics incorporating Ilyushin-76, Antonov-74 and Mi-8 flights from Moscow and Siberia, parachute and skydiver drops, specialist advisers and temporary camps on the Arctic Ocean.
Spitsbergen, Norway is the ideal starting point for this expedition, as we fly to Barneo Ice Camp at approximately 89N. Built as a drifting polar research facility, but used by adventurers and extreme sports enthusiasts alike, an expedition to Barneo will have you mingling with scientists, skiers, and explorers from around the world.
Accommodations are in dormitory style tents which sleep 10 to 12 people, and because your comfort is a priority, the tents are heated to 60 F to 65 F (15 C to 18 C). The relaxed atmosphere at the camp, and the friendly staff will make you feel right at home. The expedition staff will be happy to show you around and answer any questions you may have.
The highlight of the trip is reaching the North Pole, and we employ the power and Arctic-tested ruggedness of Mi8 helicopters to do just that. Celebrate your achievement with a champagne toast and a satellite phone call to anywhere in the world.
Outside temperatures can range from minus 4 F to minus 25 F (minus 20 C to minus 30 C), so once you’ve taken some photographs and reveled in triumph, head back to camp and swap stories with your fellow travellers.
- One night hotel accommodation based on double occupancy with breakfast in Longyearbyen
- Welcome dinner in Longyearbyen
- All transfers and flights per the daily program
- Shared tent accommodation at Barneo Ice Camp
- Group helicopter excursion to the North Pole (weather dependent)
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks at Barneo Ice Camp
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- All activities per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the expedition by our experienced Expedition Leader
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes throughout the program
- Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
- International airfare
- Passport and applicable visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and internet charges (Longyearbyen only)
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Additional expenses (meals, accommodation, international flight change fees, etc.) incurred by delay or cancellation of activities due to sub- optimal weather