Ultimate Antarctica, Weddell Sea and Falklands
Antarctica and Falklands
This exciting expedition provides great diversity and will appeal to those seeking the complete Antarctic experience. It includes the South Shetland Islands, the western and northern sections of the Antarctic Peninsula, the stunning Weddell Sea region located on the eastern side of the Peninsula, and the historic location of Elephant Island. Adding to the experience will be a visit to several locations in the Falkland Island archipelago – home to nesting albatross and the colourful King penguin
- Save sea time with the included charter flights.
- Fantastic glaciated scenery of the Antarctic Peninsula and Gerlache coastline
- Exciting ice navigation and large penguin rookeries in the Weddell Sea region
- Visits to historic sites and science stations
- Varied wildlife encounters in the Falkland Islands – including King penguins!
- On board lecturers and educational presentations from Polar Specialists.
The complete Antarctic experienceThese diverse locations on this voyage feature their own unique attractions. Expect stunning glaciated scenery along the Antarctic Peninsula, enormous Adelie penguin rookeries and the flat- topped ‘tabular’ icebergs in the Weddell Sea, rich history in the South Shetlands and Elephant Island - and observe several new wildlife species in the Falklands.
We maximize our time on this voyage by flying from South America to Antarctica, saving the two days crossing the Drake Passage. A further day and a half is saved by flying from the Falkland Islands back to South America at the conclusion of the voyage. The time saved by flying equals more time exploring down among the ice in Antarctica. Over the course of thirteen days, you can expect to be off the ship exploring for nine of those days.
This unique expedition includes an extra day of exploration in the Falkland Islands compared to similar itineraries. We use this additional time to visit some of the hidden gems.
Special OffersSpecial offer applies to all bookings made before 31 May 2019 - save US$800!
Maximize your time exploring Antarctica on this expedition!
OverviewThis exciting expedition provides great diversity and will appeal to those seeking the complete Antarctic experience. It includes the South Shetland Islands, the western and northern sections of the Antarctic Peninsula, the stunning Weddell Sea region located on the eastern side of the Peninsula, and the historic location of Elephant Island. Adding to the experience will be a visit to several locations in the Falkland Island archipelago – home to nesting albatross and the colourful King penguin.
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
Expedition Vessel: M/V Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Designed for polar research, the Akademik Sergey Vavilov, also known as the One Ocean Voyager is modern, comfortable, safe and ice-strengthened. From small group sessions to briefings for all passengers, the public spaces onboard the ship ideally suited for each and every need. A separate bar and lounge located on deck 6 with expansive 180 degree views, as well as a library provide ideal places to sit and relax or catch up on some reading. Enjoy the sumptuous meals prepared for you by the culinary team in the dining room, which can host all clients in a single seating with ample room. Other facilities include the theatre style presentation room, gift-shop, fitness room, massage room, hot water spa, sauna, and salt water plunge pool.
- Voyage and accommodation on board as indicated in the itinerary.
- Transfers in Punta Arenas to the airport on Day 1. Transfers from the ship to Stanley airport and on arrival back in Punta Arenas to a downtown location at the conclusion of the voyage on Day 12
- Special charter flight from Punta Arenas (Chile) to King George Island (Antarctica). Scheduled flight from Stanley (Falkland Islands) back to Punta Arenas (Chile)
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Free use of onboard expedition rubber boots & wet weather gear (you are welcome to bring your own as well)
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac and guided hikes/walks.
- Educational presentations and leadership by experienced expedition guides, naturalist staff, and hospitality staff.
- Access to onboard multimedia room and download stations
- An emergency trained English speaking physician
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any international or local airfare unless otherwise specified in the voyage itinerary
- Visa and passport expenses
- Pre or post-cruise hotel accommodation unless otherwise specified in the itinerary (or pre-arranged)
- Pre or post-cruise transfers unless otherwise specified in the itinerary (or pre-arranged)
- Personal expenses on board such as alcoholic beverages, bar charges or laundry expenses
- Telecommunication charges (i.e. email, satellite phone)
- Baggage, cancellation or medical travel insurance related expenses (travel insurance is mandatory on all voyages)
- A voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for expedition staff and ship crew (suggested amount – US$15-20 per day)
- IMPORTANT: We utilise a special charter flight between Punta Arenas (Chile) and King George Island (Antarctica) and different luggage limits apply. Please observe a limit of 20kg. There is no facility to purchase excess luggage on this flight. Excess baggage can be stored in Punta Arenas for the duration of your voyage for a small fee.
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!