Svalbard Adventure: M/S Sjøveien
The midnight sun reigns supreme, the bird colonies are teeming with life and the peaks of the dramatic mountain ranges are beautifully snow-covered. The ice still keeps the islands in its grip and we can admire the ever-changing ice formations. Spring has arrived and summer is just around the corner. This Arctic pearl has fascinated explorers for centuries, starting with Willem Barentzs, who discovered the main island Spitsbergen in 1596
- Sail on board an intimate, charming and historic expedition ship with just 12 fellow travellers
- See the spectacular mountains of Spitsbergen
- Sail through amazing fjords and see impressive glaciers
- Search for wildlife such as polar bears, walrus and whales
- Incredible birdlife including eiders, vast numbers of kittiwakes and Brünnich’s guillemots
Knowledgeable and enthusiastic guides are the key to a successful expedition. On these expeditions you will meet guides with long experience of the Polar Regions and a genuine love of the Arctic. Several of them have been commuting between the Arctic and the Antarctic for many years. All guides are highly qualified guides when it comes to safety.
There are two guides on board the M/S Sjøveien. Few passengers per guide increase the flexibility on board as well as enable a smooth Zodiac operation. The guides also entertain and educate you with interesting talks in between landings, where you learn more about the flora, fauna and history of Svalbard.
Exploring Svalbard’s magical coastlines in search of wildlife.
OverviewThe midnight sun reigns supreme, the bird colonies are teeming with life and the peaks of the dramatic mountain ranges are beautifully snow-covered. The ice still keeps the islands in its grip and we can admire the ever-changing ice formations. Spring has arrived and summer is just around the corner. This Arctic pearl has fascinated explorers for centuries, starting with Willem Barentzs, who discovered the main island Spitsbergen in 1596.
Expedition Vessel: M/S SjøveienBoard the M/S Sjøveien for a Svalbard journey of a lifetime. The M/S Sjøveien has been used as a hotel for the past few years and has now been completely renovated as a passenger ship, ready to set sail in the Svalbard archipelago. The key is in the detail of this stunning ship; with wooden decks and interiors, vintage elements and private bathrooms, one does not have to compromise on comfort while experiencing the icy waters of the Arctic. A more luxurious 12-passenger ship renovated with classic styling and necessary facilities for your Svalbard expedition. The M/S Sjøveien has been renovated with a range of accommodation options. Choose from twin and double rooms and upper and lower deck cabins with either windows or portholes. There is a large mess area, communal lounge and dining area where you will enjoy meals and lectures by your on-board guides. Dining aboard the M/S Sjøveien is an all-inclusive affair with breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea and coffee being served each day. The M/S Sjøveien is certified with an ice class of 1C which means she is ice-strengthened and can deal with ice up to 40cm thick.
- 7 nights on board the M/S Sjøveien, 1 night in a hotel in Longyearbyen
- all meals on board, tea and coffee
- an experienced Expedition Leader
- lectures and guiding on board and ashore
- all excursions by Zodiac
- The customary gratuity to the ship’s crew
- Comprehensive information material before the expedition
- illustrated post-expedition log
- Flight to and from Longyearbyen
- travel and cancellation insurance
- Personal expenses such as bar and shop charges
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!