Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctica: Vavilov
South Georgia and Antarctica
This departure starts with a short, 90-minute flight from South America to the Falklands Islands, saving two days of sea crossings. The expedition coincides with the arrival of spring as the region emerges from winter. It is an exceptional time to visit, the commencement of the breeding cycle for many species. In South Georgia, scenes of male elephant seals battling for control of the beaches (and the female harems), and the intimate and beautiful courtship rituals of the albatross will have you believing you are ‘on the set’ of your very own wildlife documentary
- Explore the Antarctic by ship, Zodiac and on foot
- South Georgia ‘Galapagos of the South’
- Over 30 species of breeding birds, 6 species of Penguin
- Follow in the footsteps of Shackleton
- Quaint town of Port Stanley in the Falklands
- Lectures from Polar Specialists
INCLUDES FLIGHT FROM PUNTA ARENAS TO PORT STANLEY
This is a far-reaching polar expedition itinerary and includes visits to three different locations. The sub-Antarctic Falkland Islands and the island of South Georgia are home to a proliferation of unique wildlife and birdlife. There are penguin rookeries with more than 100,000 nesting birds and the beaches are covered in fur seals and elephant seals. Seabirds, including many of the albatross species call these islands home, nesting and raising their young in this wild and remote environment. Both locations feature a fascinating history and stunning scenery.
To the south lies Antarctica – the frozen continent and our final destination on this remarkable voyage. Icebergs in all shapes and sizes fill the waters, and yet more unique wildlife can be found living in sizable colonies. The waters are full of life and we frequently encounter whales including humpback, minke and orca.
Our days are spent exploring on shore in the company of expert guides – including naturalists, marine biologists, ornithologists and adventurers as well as our resident photography professional. Cruising in our inflatable Zodiac boats is another memorable activity. For the adventurers, we provide plenty of opportunities to explore on long hikes ashore, or by sea kayak.
Early Booking Offer
Book and deposit before 30 April 2018 and save a flight credit of up to US$1000 per person (or equivalent currency).
The only things that weren't as great as my first trip. The food... Although the desserts were fabulous. And the presentation room downstairs was a little rough. It was the only place on the ship I felt sea sick. And maybe they could have had a little more entertainment at night.
An in-depth and fantastic expedition with the bonus time-saver of a flight included to the Falklands.
OverviewThis departure starts with a short, 90-minute flight from South America to the Falklands Islands, saving two days of sea crossings. The expedition coincides with the arrival of spring as the region emerges from winter. It is an exceptional time to visit, the commencement of the breeding cycle for many species. In South Georgia, scenes of male elephant seals battling for control of the beaches (and the female harems), and the intimate and beautiful courtship rituals of the albatross will have you believing you are ‘on the set’ of your very own wildlife documentary.
Expedition Vessel: M/V Akademik Sergey Vavilov
Designed for polar research, the Akademik Sergey Vavilov, also known as the One Ocean Voyager is modern, comfortable, safe and ice-strengthened. From small group sessions to briefings for all passengers, the public spaces onboard the ship ideally suited for each and every need. A separate bar and lounge located on deck 6 with expansive 180 degree views, as well as a library provide ideal places to sit and relax or catch up on some reading. Enjoy the sumptuous meals prepared for you by the culinary team in the dining room, which can host all clients in a single seating with ample room. Other facilities include the theatre style presentation room, gift-shop, fitness room, massage room, hot water spa, sauna, and salt water plunge pool.
- Voyage and accommodation on board as indicated in the itinerary.
- One way flight between Punta Arenas and Stanley, Falkland Islands.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Free use of onboard expedition rubber boots & wet weather gear (you are welcome to bring your own as well)
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac and guided hikes/walks.
- Educational presentations and leadership by experienced expedition guides, naturalist staff, and hospitality staff.
- Access to onboard multimedia room and download stations
- An emergency trained English speaking physician
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare other than the listed charter flights.
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to the vessel.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended).
- Excess baggage charges.
- All items of a personal nature such as additional purchases onboard in the gift shop, laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).