Baffin Island, Jewel of the Arctic
This 11-night exploratory journey will cover the entire east coast of Baffin Island and Lancaster Sound. Beginning in Iqaluit and sailing across the Arctic Circle up to Resolute, we will visit wildlife hotspots in search of beluga, bowhead and the elusive narwhal, as well as walrus and polar bear, the icon of the High Arctic. Spectacularly wild and rugged scenery, deep fjords and ice-choked waterways are combined with Inuit culture and unique access to two of Canada's Arctic national parks - Auyuittuq and Sirmilik. Flights departing Ottawa, returning Edmonton
- Exploration of High Arctic wilderness
- Arctic wildlife such as seals, polar bears and seabirds
- Traditional Inuit Communities
- Historical sites and settlements
- Spectacular fjords, glaciers and towering icebergs
- Zodiac cruising, tundra hiking and photographic opportunities
- Optional kayaking excursions
Baffin Island is one of the last great wilderness regions on the planet and the focus of this outstanding expedition. From Iqaluit, on Frobisher Bay, we explore up the wild east coast of Baffin Island discovering the deep fjords, soaring mountains and immense glacial systems. We are constantly on the lookout for variety of birdlife and marine wildlife - including polar bear - the icon of the north. Visits to remote Inuit provide a fascinating glimpse into the daily life of the people who call this remote wilderness their home. The history of early exploration is ever present and we visit former Hudson's Bay Company locations and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) outposts. A highlight will be a visit to Beechey Island, the final resting place for some of the men of the ill-fated Franklin Expedition in 1845-46. This remote and desolate place is home to several small grave markers which we see on our shore excursion. We eventually reach the remote town of Resolute where our adventure comes to an end.
This is remote, small ship expedition cruising at its best!
The right gear for your trip – included!
During the voyage you will have the use of an expedition gear package free of charge. Containing around $US900 worth of essential equipment, this kit includes a quality waterproof/ windproof jacket and bib-pants plus insulated rubber boots designed for extended walking. We also include a set of binoculars and a Nordic trekking pole for use when on shore. A waterproof backpack completes your package. This kit saves you buying expensive clothing and equipment you may only ever use once. It also eliminates the need to carry such cumbersome gear to the ship (total weight around 8kg/17lbs).
Early Booking Offer 2019
Save with Flight Credit of US$1000 pp (or equivalent currency). Credit amount varies by departure and is shown during the booking process.
Get set for a true High Arctic adventure!
OverviewThis 11-night exploratory journey will cover the entire east coast of Baffin Island and Lancaster Sound. Beginning in Iqaluit and sailing across the Arctic Circle up to Resolute, we will visit wildlife hotspots in search of beluga, bowhead and the elusive narwhal, as well as walrus and polar bear, the icon of the High Arctic. Spectacularly wild and rugged scenery, deep fjords and ice-choked waterways are combined with Inuit culture and unique access to two of Canada's Arctic national parks - Auyuittuq and Sirmilik. Flights departing Ottawa, returning Edmonton
Expedition Vessel: M/V Akademik Ioffe
Designed for polar research, the Akademik Ioffe, also known as the One Ocean Navigator is modern, comfortable, safe and ice-strengthened. From small group sessions to briefings for all passengers, the public spaces onboard the ship are ideally suited for each and every need. A separate bar and lounge, as well as a library provide ideal places to sit and relax or catch up on some reading. A selection of movies and documentaries can also be watched in the lounge. Enjoy the sumptuous meals prepared for you by the culinary team in our dining room, which can host all clients in a single seating with ample room. Other facilities include the theatre style presentation room, gift-shop, fitness room, massage room, sauna and plunge pool.
- Voyage and accommodation on board as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Free use of onboard expedition rubber boots & wet weather gear (you are welcome to bring your own as well)
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac and guided hikes/walks.
- Educational presentations and leadership by experienced expedition guides, naturalist staff, and hospitality staff.
- Access to onboard multimedia room and download stations
- An emergency trained English speaking physician
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Charter flights costs of $1995
- Canadian GST of 5% to be added to the cruise and flight cost
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to the vessel.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended).
- Excess baggage charges.
- All items of a personal nature such as additional purchases onboard in the gift shop, laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!