Around Spitsbergen: Noorderlicht
In July the summer has arrived, the midnight sun reigns supreme and the purple saxifrage decorates the slopes. The ice is slowly starting to loosen its grip, which offers good opportunities to explore the seldom visited eastern parts of the archipelago. Later in August the sun is closer to the horizon, giving us beautiful sunsets and a warm light, perfect for photography. With ten nights on board we have plenty of time for grand nature experiences and wildlife encounters
- Look out for Arctic wildlife such as whales, seals, walrus and polar bears
- Sail in the Far North, just 540 miles from the North Pole
- Myriad of birdlife and spectacular seabird cliff colonies
- Excitement of Sailing on a magnificent schooner
- Admire the glaciers and mountains of Svalbard
A rare and amazing chance to explore Spitsbergen in the Spring and early summer with its pristine snowy landscapes and burgeoning birdlife. Sail on a historic schooner and sense the thrill of a real Arctic adventure.
A Full Spitsbergen Circumnavigation by Sail!
OverviewIn July the summer has arrived, the midnight sun reigns supreme and the purple saxifrage decorates the slopes. The ice is slowly starting to loosen its grip, which offers good opportunities to explore the seldom visited eastern parts of the archipelago. Later in August the sun is closer to the horizon, giving us beautiful sunsets and a warm light, perfect for photography. With ten nights on board we have plenty of time for grand nature experiences and wildlife encounters.
Experience the charm and adventure of yesteryear and travel by wind power on this well-balanced two-masted schooner! Explore remarkable areas of the world and experience a style of adventure travel totally unlike other ships.
The ‘Noorderlicht’ was originally built in 1910 in Flensburg, Germany as a three-masted schooner. For most of her existence she served as a light-vessel on the Baltic. In 1991 the present owners purchased the hull and re-rigged and refitted her tho- roughly, under the rules of “Register Holland”. The ‘Noorderlicht’ now has a well-balanced two-masted schooner rig and is capable of sailing the seven seas. The qualified captains have a great experience of the oceans. Together with the rest of the crew, they will do everything possible to ensure that you have a wonderful and unforgettable journey.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- Free use of snow shoes.
- Transfers and baggage handling between airport and ship in Greenland harbours on the chartered group flights.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!