Around Spitsbergen - M/V Janssonius
With its rugged mountains, sweeping tundra, ice-caps and glaciers, Svalbard, also known as Spitsbergen, is a true high-Arctic archipelago, and only 1000 kilometres (600 miles) from the North Pole. Svalbard offers some of the finest scenery and wildlife experiences in the world. The huge bird cliffs along the coasts are a major attraction. Spitsbergen is a breeding ground for large numbers of seabirds that feed in the food rich Arctic waters. This expedition will search for the iconic Arctic wildlife such as polar bears and walrus
- Look out for Arctic wildlife such as whales, seals, walrus and polar bears
- Reach 81 degrees north, just 540 miles from the geographic North Pole
- Myriad of birdlife and spectacular seabird cliff colonies
- Sailing with m/v Janssonius, a new, state-of-the-art expedition vessel
- Admire the glaciers and mountains of Svalbard
A comprehensive expedition to the Arctic with a great new vessel
OverviewWith its rugged mountains, sweeping tundra, ice-caps and glaciers, Svalbard, also known as Spitsbergen, is a true high-Arctic archipelago, and only 1000 kilometres (600 miles) from the North Pole. Svalbard offers some of the finest scenery and wildlife experiences in the world. The huge bird cliffs along the coasts are a major attraction. Spitsbergen is a breeding ground for large numbers of seabirds that feed in the food rich Arctic waters. This expedition will search for the iconic Arctic wildlife such as polar bears and walrus.
New Expedition Vessel: M/V Janssonius
A completely new vessel for 2021, Janssonius will be the strongest ice- strengthened vessel in the Polar Regions and will be equipped with stabilizers, and very suitable for advanced, innovative exploratory quality voyages in the Arctic and Antarctic Regions.
Janssonius offers deluxe accommodations for in total 170 passengers. One
deck has been entirely reserved for (multi-language) lectures and
presentations in one large observation lounge and in addition one
separate lecture room. The vessel offers a deluxe standard and at the
same time a distinctive cozy and informal atmosphere.
The philosophy is to keep sea legs short and to focus on fast and
effective access to shore and near shore activities for all nature and
wildlife minded passengers. A powerful fleet of zodiacs will guarantee
quality outings and swift landing operation for all passengers at the
same time. Our main focus remains discovery, taking advantage of
wildlife opportunities and the related shore activities, a product
that has been very much appreciated by our current travelers for many
years. A speedy zodiac embarkation is guaranteed with two separate
gangways and in addition a zodiac embarkation indoor-platform which
can also be used for special outdoor activities such as kayaking.
While cruising, 72 crew and staff members (including expedition and
hotel staff) will be at the passengers’ service. Janssonius is equipped
with 2 main engines and can reach a maximum speed of 15 knots.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Free use of rubber boots and snow shoes on Plancius and Ortelius
- Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
- Possible fuel surcharges; It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US Dollar 120 per Barrel Brent, 90 days prior to departure Oceanwide Expeditions reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US $ 25 per passenger per night for bookings outside Europe and EURO 18 per passenger per night for bookings within Europe, to be paid by the contracting party of Oceanwide Expeditions.
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!