Antarctica - Discovery and learning voyage
This voyage to the Antarctic Peninsula offers the most dramatic scenery and biggest variety of wildlife in Antarctica. Visitors are easily overcome by sensory overload by the huge amount of icebergs, glaciers, high mountains and the abundant and tame wildlife. Optional camping, kayaking and snowshoe treks complement the fantastic experience of one of the newest polar ships in the world. There is also an array of activities unique to the ship, interactive workshops that explore such topics as astronomy, navigation, and other related fields
- Extraordinary mountain and glacial scenery of Antarctica
- See penguins, seals, whales and other wildlife
- Regular Zodiac landings and sightseeing
- Expert lecturers on many Antarctic topics
- Interactive workshops
- variety of snow-shoeing treks to suit your experience
- Camping option overnight under the Antarctic skies
- Optional kayaking activity
Save 5% Offer!
Special Offer: Save 5% on all voyages for the 2019-20 season - book before 30 June 2019. Use Promocode HON05 during the booking process.
The classic Antarctica voyage is one of the world's great travel experiences.
OverviewThis voyage to the Antarctic Peninsula offers the most dramatic scenery and biggest variety of wildlife in Antarctica. Visitors are easily overcome by sensory overload by the huge amount of icebergs, glaciers, high mountains and the abundant and tame wildlife. Optional camping, kayaking and snowshoe treks complement the fantastic experience of one of the newest polar ships in the world. There is also an array of activities unique to the ship, interactive workshops that explore such topics as astronomy, navigation, and other related fields.
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
New Expedition Vessel: M/V Hondius
The Hondius is a new-built vessel in 2019 is ice-strengthened and
specially crafted for expedition voyages. Hondius will be the first
vessel to be built to class “LR PC6”, meeting the latest and highest
demands of Lloyd’s Register for “Polar Class 6” vessels, the highest
Polar Class notation for ice-strengthened vessels. The vessel will
also fully comply with the mandatory requirements of the Polar code,
for safe ship operation and the protection of the Polar environment.
Hondius offers deluxe accommodations for in total 176 passengers. One
deck has been entirely reserved for (multi-language) lectures and
presentations in one large observation lounge and in addition one
separate lecture room. The vessel offers a deluxe standard and at the
same time a distinctive cozy and informal atmosphere.
The philosophy is to keep sea legs short and to focus on fast and
effective access to shore and near shore activities for all nature and
wildlife minded passengers. A powerful fleet of zodiacs will guarantee
quality outings and swift landing operation for all passengers at the
same time. Our main focus remains discovery, taking advantage of
wildlife opportunities and the related shore activities, a product
that has been very much appreciated by our current travelers for many
years. A speedy zodiac embarkation is guaranteed with two separate
gangways and in addition a zodiac embarkation indoor-platform which
can also be used for special outdoor activities such as kayaking.
While cruising, 72 crew and staff members (including expedition and
hotel staff) will be at the passengers’ service. Hondius is equipped
with 2 main engines and can reach a maximum speed of 15 knots.
- Voyage aboard the designated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation).
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to the vessel.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended).
- Excess baggage charges.
- All items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!