Secrets of Melanesia: Spirit of Enderby
Vanuatu and Solomon Islands
Sail into a world that few have experienced; idyllic islands and isolated villages where unique time-honoured traditions and elaborately costumed dancers welcome us. Discover the beauty of the outer Solomon Islands and Vanuatu and their rich history. Birding excursion available
- Hidden gems of Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.
- Remote islands with people still living a traditional lifestyle.
- Remnants of World War II activities
- Rare bird species with optional specialised birding programme with customised excursions.
- Incredible marine diversity with opportunity to snorkel and kayaking
- Freindly local children who often come out to join us in their dugout canoes.
Vanuatu has produced a kaleidoscope of cultures and more than 100 indigenous languages. With over 80 habitable islands, islanders have closely guarded their own cultures and languages. Our expedition embraces some of these cultures and languages and offers a window into the happiest country in the world.
Our journey offers some of the greatest underwater experiences in the world, with an abundance of marine life and coral gardens that draws you in to explore a magical underwater world. During frequent snorkel excursions throughout the expedition everybody will have the opportunity to appreciate the beauty beneath the waves.
For birders this itinerary offers once in a lifetime species on remote islands where few have been before, endemic birdlife such as the Solomon Sea Eagle or the Vanikoro White-eye may be seen. The birding potential is exceptional and to allow birders to maximise the opportunities on the expedition there will be an optional specialised birding programme with customised excursions.
A picture postcard paradise awaits us as we uncover the 'Secrets of Melanesia'.
A rare and special journey to remote, beautiful and culturally-rich islands
OverviewSail into a world that few have experienced; idyllic islands and isolated villages where unique time-honoured traditions and elaborately costumed dancers welcome us. Discover the beauty of the outer Solomon Islands and Vanuatu and their rich history. Birding excursion available.
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
Expedition Vessel: M/V Spirit of Enderby
The Spirit of Enderby is a fully ice-strengthened expedition vessel, built in 1984 for polar and oceanographic research and is perfect for Expedition cruising. She carries just 50 passengers and was refurbished in March 2012 to provide comfortable accommodation in twin share cabins, approximately half of which have private facilities. All cabins have outside windows or portholes and ample storage space. On board there is a combined bar/library lounge area and a dedicated lecture room. The cuisine is excellent and is prepared by top New Zealand and Australian chefs. The real focus and emphasis of every expedition is getting you ashore as often as possible for as long as possible with maximum safety and comfort. Expeditions are accompanied by some of the most experienced naturalists and guides, who have devoted a lifetime to field research in the areas that we visit. The ship is crewed by a very enthusiastic and most experienced Russian Captain and crew.
- All meals and 24 hour tea and coffee station aboard the ship.
- Use of snorkel equipment where available.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac excluding optional specialised birding and kayaking programmes.
- Programme of lectures by noted naturalists.
- All onshore tips, service taxes and port charges.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Airport transfers at the beginning and end of your voyage.
- passport, visa, immigration fees,
- baggage/accident/travel protection plan,
- items of a personal nature such as bar, email, and laundry.
- Gratuities to ship's crew at your discretion.
- Airfares are an additional cost.
- Discovery Fund $600 USD pp
- Kayaking Supplement: $995 pp
- Birding Supplement: $500 pp
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!