Scoresby Sund, Aurora borealis: Plancius
Voyage to East Greenland, Scoresby Sund, where we may observe the Aurora Borealis. We cross the Arctic Circle and continue north, perhaps seeing whales. Spot our first icebergs as we approach the east coast of Greenland near Kap Brewster. There are about 50 bird species on the island such as Gyrfalcon, Snowy Owl, Barnacle and Pink-footed Goose. The autumn colours will be beautiful during the day time. At night, when there is open sky we may be able to admire the Aurora Borealis
- See several bird species
- Musk Oxen and other wildlife such as Arctic fox and Arctic Hare
- Hike on the Greenland tundra
- Kayaking accompanied by a kayak guide take off the beaten track
- Scoresby Sund, the largest fjord system in the world
- Ittoqqortoormiit with its colourful houses
- Witness the Aurora borealis (Northern lights)
Greenland and its surrounding waters are home to an impressive array of wildlife.
OverviewVoyage to East Greenland, Scoresby Sund, where we may observe the Aurora Borealis. We cross the Arctic Circle and continue north, perhaps seeing whales. Spot our first icebergs as we approach the east coast of Greenland near Kap Brewster. There are about 50 bird species on the island such as Gyrfalcon, Snowy Owl, Barnacle and Pink-footed Goose. The autumn colours will be beautiful during the day time. At night, when there is open sky we may be able to admire the Aurora Borealis.
Expedition Vessel: M/V Plancius
M/V "Plancius" was built in 1976 as an oceanographic research vessel for the Royal Dutch Navy and was named "Hr. Ms. Tydeman". The ship sailed for the Dutch Navy until June 2004 and was completely rebuilt as a 114-passenger vessel in 2009. M/V "Plancius" complies with the latest SOLAS-regulations (Safety Of Life At Sea), is classed by Lloyd's Register in London and flies the Dutch flag. M/V "Plancius" accommodates 114 passengers in 53 passenger cabins with private toilet and shower in 4 quadruple porthole cabins, 2 triple porthole cabins, 9 twin porthole cabins, 26 twin cabins with window and 2 twin deluxe cabins, all (ca. 15 square metres) and 10 twin superior cabins (ca. 21 square metres).
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Free use of rubber boots and snow shoes on Plancius and Ortelius
- Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
- Possible fuel surcharges; It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US Dollar 120 per Barrel Brent, 90 days prior to departure Oceanwide Expeditions reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US $ 25 per passenger per night for bookings outside Europe and EURO 18 per passenger per night for bookings within Europe, to be paid by the contracting party of Oceanwide Expeditions.
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!