Emperors and Explorers: Union Glacier Camp
Fly to an Emperor penguin rookery on the remote Antarctic coast and spend several days immersed in the wildlife activity. Photograph the majestic Emperors against a spectacular backdrop of ice bergs. Fall asleep to a chorus of trumpeting calls, and wake to find curious visitors outside your tent. Then fly to the Geographic South Pole, the most remote destination on Earth. Contemplate the heroic explorers who crossed this frozen continent more than 100 years ago. Feel the significance of this place and of your journey. Walk around the world and savour the moment
- Fly to Antarctica and spend time an unique and beautifully located base camp
- Fly by ski aircraft to an Emperor penguin rookery on the remote, south coast of the Weddell Sea.
- Camping on-site near an emperor penguin colony
- Astonishing photographic opportunities
- Experienced Antarctic guides and staff naturalist
- Fly to the geographic South Pole by ski aircraft
- Feel the spirit of discovery that has inspired Antarctic exploration and scientific research.
This authentic safari offers more than just wildlife viewing. You will literally live with the Emperors and witness first-hand their amazing adaptation to the Antarctic environment.
OverviewFly to an Emperor penguin rookery on the remote Antarctic coast and spend several days immersed in the wildlife activity. Photograph the majestic Emperors against a spectacular backdrop of ice bergs. Fall asleep to a chorus of trumpeting calls, and wake to find curious visitors outside your tent. Then fly to the Geographic South Pole, the most remote destination on Earth. Contemplate the heroic explorers who crossed this frozen continent more than 100 years ago. Feel the significance of this place and of your journey. Walk around the world and savour the moment.
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
ANTARCTIC LAND PROGRAM: UNION GLACIER CAMP
This unique Antarctic campsite is located in the remote, southern Ellsworth Mountains, on the broad expanse of Union Glacier. This is the only facility of its kind in Antarctica. The full-service camp operates during the Antarctic summer (November through January). The camp maintains and operates an ice runway, a separate skiway and an efficient logistics hub to provide support to private expeditions and National Antarctic Programs. Union Glacier Camp is only accessible by air and your journey begins with a 4 ¼ hour flight from Punta Arenas, Chile. The wheeled aircraft lands on a naturally-occurring ice runway on the Union Glacier, where you take your first steps in Antarctica. Climb aboard one of the specially adapted vans for the 5 mile (8km) ride to camp, where a warm welcome awaits you.
The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming at the Antarctic camp at Union Glacier. You’ll find roomy, double occupancy sleeping tents; a spacious dining hall; fresh delicious meals; and a spectacular setting. You’ll be surprised how comfortable Antarctica can be! This full-service camp is designed for Antarctic conditions and with best environmental practices in mind. It operates during the Antarctic summer (November through January) and is dismantled at the end of each season.
The setting is spectacular. The accommodation spacious and comfortable. The meals fresh and delicious. The service and support unparalleled. Majestic peaks rise in all directions offering plenty of opportunities for scenic excursions, technical climbs and ski tours. At camp there is little wind, providing a comfortable environment to relax and take it all in.
At each turn a new experience awaits. Take in wide open vistas from the top of Charles Peak. Explore ice pools in the Elephant Head Valley. Ramble along multi-colored Spectrum Ridge. Cross country ski over frozen fields of sastrugi. Photograph wind sculpted clouds, unusual snow features and a thousand shades of white. Navigate using GPS. Carve snow sculptures. Or simply relax and take it all in. For the more adventurous, try ice climbing on the massive windscoop surrounding Charles Peak, scramble up the serpentine Ridge of Mount Rossman or camp out on the polar plateau.
Two twin-engine, ski aircraft transport passengers, cargo and fuel beyond Union Glacier Camp. The ski aircraft park to one side of camp and use a separate skiway.
The Gould Bay (Emperor Penguin), ski expedition, climbing and other field camps are more basic. Equipment must be lightweight and portable, yet still strong enough to withstand Antarctic conditions. You sleep in mountaineering-style tents and eat a combination of fresh-frozen meals, prepared by the chefs at Union Glacier; and de-hydrated meals.
- All transfers between the airport and your hotel in Punta Arenas, Chile upon arrival and departure
- Round trip flight from Punta Arenas, Chile to Union Glacier, Antarctica
- All scheduled, group flights within Antarctica as specified in the experience itinerary
- All meals and tented accommodations while in Antarctica
- Support of camp staff, field guides, lecturers, and medics while in Antarctica
- Celebration dinner and certificate of achievement upon completion of your experience
- Daily excursions and activities around Union Glacier
- Use of recreational equipment around Union Glacier including fat-tire bikes and cross-country skis
- Insurance coverage – personal, medical, evacuation, or otherwise
- Commercial flights to and from Punta Arenas, Chile
- Airport transfers outside of Punta Arenas
- Meals and accommodations in Punta Arenas, Chile
- Additional expenses incurred in Punta Arenas due to delays
- Additional flights within Antarctica other than those specified in the experience itinerary
- Personal clothing and equipment
- Excess luggage over the specified limit for your experience
- Satellite phone charges
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!