Baffin Island and Greenland Explorer - Resolute
This trip offers a special cultural dimension, with the opportunity to visit remote Inuit communities on Baffin Island and several colourful fishing towns in Greenland. Another highlight will be walking on the vast expanse of the Greenland ice cap, the world's second-largest ice sheet after Antarctica. Throughout the trip, our onboard experts educate us with a series of presentations on the environment, wildlife and history. We explore deep fjords, immense icebergs and coastal villages while encountering the special wildlife of the Arctic, including birdlife, marine mammals and polar bears
- Spectacular scenery of Canadian Arctic and Greenland
- Expert staff onboard including specialists in photography, geography, wildlife, ornithology
- Look for walrus on Monumental Island
- Visit remote Iniut communities
- Explore icy shorelines by Zodiac and kayaks looking for polar bears
- Cross the Arctic Circle at 66⁰ degrees, 33 minutes North
- Jacobshavn Icefjord – a UNESCO World Heritage site - spewing its icebergs into Disko Bay
- Walk on the vast Greenland ice cap
One of the last great wilderness regions on the planet and the focus of this outstanding expedition. From Iqaluit, on Frobisher Bay, we explore up the wild east coast of Baffin Island discovering the deep fjords, soaring mountains and immense glacial systems. We are constantly on the lookout for variety of birdlife and marine wildlife - including polar bear - the icon of the north. Visits to remote Inuit provide a fascinating glimpse into the daily life of the people who call this remote wilderness their home.
The right gear for your trip – included!
During the voyage you will have the use of an expedition gear package free of charge. Containing around $US900 worth of essential equipment, this kit includes a quality waterproof/ windproof jacket and bib-pants plus insulated rubber boots designed for extended walking. We also include a set of binoculars and a Nordic trekking pole for use when on shore. A waterproof backpack completes your package. This kit saves you buying expensive clothing and equipment you may only ever use once. It also eliminates the need to carry such cumbersome gear to the ship (total weight around 8kg/17lbs).
Only until 31 May! Save with Flight Credit of US$2000 pp (or equivalent currency). Credit amount varies by departure and is shown during the booking process.
Get set for a true High Arctic adventure!
OverviewThis trip offers a special cultural dimension, with the opportunity to visit remote Inuit communities on Baffin Island and several colourful fishing towns in Greenland. Another highlight will be walking on the vast expanse of the Greenland ice cap, the world's second-largest ice sheet after Antarctica. Throughout the trip, our onboard experts educate us with a series of presentations on the environment, wildlife and history. We explore deep fjords, immense icebergs and coastal villages while encountering the special wildlife of the Arctic, including birdlife, marine mammals and polar bears.
Luxury Expedition Vessel: RCGS Resolute
The purpose built polar expedition vessel RCGS Resolute provides a
most capable, safe, and exclusive expedition cruise experience.
Designed for comfort, there are public spaces ideally suited for each
and every need. Two separate bar and lounge areas featuring 180 degree
views and a wonderfully stocked library provide ideal places to relax
or catch up on some reading. RCGS Resolute has the highest ice class
(Lloyds 1AS). Equipped with propellers of stainless steel, high
density steel plating and small frame spacing on her hull, RCGS
Resolute continues into the ice, when others simply cannot. The ship
is very stable and her stability and strength are features greatly
appreciated in ice laden large waters. Unmatched stability, coupled
with superior speed allows for more time at your destination and more
flexibility with itinerary planning – a critical factor in polar
waters where ice and weather conditions sometimes dictate daily plans.
All cabins feature outside viewing ranging from deck three traditional
with port holes, up to decks 4 through 6 offering expansive panoramic
windows. Cabins all have lower berths that have the ability to be
single beds, or 1 double bed depending on our guests needs.
- Comprehensive pre-voyage information package
- Transfers to and from the ship to the airport or local hotel
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping. Cabins feature outside views with windows or portholes that open on each deck
- High quality, eco friendly natural amenities in every cabin
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage with daily afternoon tea
- 24-hour tea, coffee, hot chocolate in bar lounge plus in-cabin tea, coffee, hot chocolate replenished daily
- Experienced Expedition Leader and professional team of marine bioligists, naturalists, historians, adventure guides and photographers
- Daily off-ship excursions by zodiac breaking into small groups for shore landings
- Guided hikes and walks on shore of various durations for all abilities
- Visits to wildlife colonies, historic sites, places of outstanding natural beauty and community visits
- Educational presentations and talks by polar experts
- Resident photography guide
- Access to computers in the multimedia lab
- An emergency trained medical physician
- Dedicated hospitality team including Hotel Manager, four chefs, professional bar staff and Adventure Concierge staff
- Onboard sauna, plunge pool, jacuzzi, fitness centre including personal trainer and massage options (charge applies for massage and spa treatments)
- Access to well stocked library of polar reference books
- Optional Sea Kayaking program ($US695)
- End of voyage video, photos and take home USB Port fees and all permits to access visited areas
- Charter flights or any international or local airfare unless otherwise specified in the voyage itinerary
- Visa and passport expenses
- Pre or post-cruise hotel accommodation unless otherwise specified in the itinerary (or pre-arranged)
- Pre or post-cruise transfers unless otherwise specified in the itinerary (or pre-arranged)
- Personal expenses on board such as alcoholic beverages, bar charges or laundry expenses
- Telecommunication charges (ie. email, satellite phone)
- Baggage, cancellation or medical travel insurance related expenses (comprehensive travel insurance is mandatory on all trips)
- A voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for expedition staff and ship crew (suggested amount – $US12-15 per day)
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!